Our research is a key to a climate-neutral society by 2050 at the latest, when closed carbon cycles in the bioeconomy will have replaced the fossil economy.
- We conduct applied research and development.
- We research and evaluate technologies for the energetic and integrated material use of biogenic resources.
- Our results enable innovations for sustainably established products and services on the market to ensure a rapid transformation into a climate-neutral society.
- Our findings contribute to rural development, which is the starting point for the bioeconomy.
- We are guided by the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) of the United Nations.
- Our research addresses actors from science, politics, economy and society with regard to bioenergy, bioeconomy and climate-neutral supply systems.
- We network with our partners at home and abroad and share our knowledge with them.
- To fulfil our mission, we are constantly developing our dedicated employees, our interdisciplinary expertise and our outstanding research infrastructure.
- As an independent federal research institution, we provide scientifically sound bases for decision-making and initiate and design research strategies.
- We support young scientists by supervising bachelor, master and doctoral theses.
- Our employees benefit from a broad continuing education programme.
- We support our employees in spin-offs and start-ups.
- We attach great importance to the compatibility of career and family.
- With the aim of continuous improvement, we regularly consult an international research advisory board and a cross-departmental supervisory board from federal and state ministries.
- We constantly optimise our processes with the quality management system ISO 9001 and along the guidelines for ensuring good scientific practice.
- We aim to achieve climate-neutral operations by 2030 at the latest.
(As per March 2020)